Self test questions
1. A(n) kilobyte is about 1000 bytes; a(n) megabyte is about 1 million bytes; a(n) gigabyte is about 1 billion bytes.
2. The CPU is the part of the microprocessor that tells the rest of the computer how to carry out a program’s instructions.
3. The process of retrieving data from a storage device is referred to as read ; the process of copying data to a storage device is called write.
4. To avoid losing data, users should always backup their files.
5. Formatted disks have track and sector that the system software uses to reference data locations.
6. The CPU is often referred to as the “brain” of a computer.
7. The electrical data roadways though which bits are transmitted are called bus .
8. A cable connected to a serial port sends bits one at a time, one after the other; a cable connected to a paralel port port sends 8 bits simultaneously.
9. Part of the disk-drive mechanism, the transfers data between the computer and the stick.
10. RAM Chips , also called main memory, are critical to computer performance.
11. arithmetical Operations are the fundamental math operations ; addition , subtraction , multiplication , and division.logical Operations are comparisons such as “equal to” , “greater than” , or “less than”.
12. A group of 8 bits is a byte.
13. The extra bit attached to the end of a byte for error checking is a parity bit.
14. A tiny electronic device acts as an on/off switch , switching between “on” and “off” millions of times per second, is called a transistor.
15. Flash memory sticks is a form of flash memory media that plugs into a special port in a digital camera, camcorder, notebook , PC , or photo printer and holds up to 1 gigabyte of data.
1. Which of the following is another term for primary storage?
2. Which of the following is not included on a computer’s motherboard?
a. RAM chips
b. ROM chips
e. Expansion slots
3. Which of the following is used to hold data and instructions that will be used shortly by the CPU?
a. ROM chips
b. Peripheral devices
c. RAM chips
e. Hard disk
4. Which of the following coding schemes is widely used on microcomputers?
5. Which of the following is used to measure processing speed in microcomputers?
6. Which expansion bus specializes in graphics processing?
7. Which element is commonly used in the making of solid-state integrated circuits?
8. DVD-Rs allow
a. Repeated rewriting
b. One-time recording by the user; they cannot be written on more than once
c. No writing; they are read-only
True False Question
1. A bus connects a computer’s control unit and ALU(F)
2. The machine cycle comprises the instruction cycle and the execution cycle.(F)
3. Magnetic tape is the most common secondary storage medium used with microcomputers.(F)
4. Main memory is nonvolatile.(F)
5. Pipelining is a method of speeding up processing.(T)
6. Today’s laptop computers can perform more calculations per second than ENIAC , an enormous machine occupying more than 1800 square feet and weighing more than 30 tons.(T)
7. USB can theoretically connect up to 127 peripheral devices.(T)
8. A petabyte is approximately 1 quadrillion bytes.(T)
9. Online secondary storage services test your computer’s RAM capacity.(F)
10. Keychain memory is a pipelining device.(F)